Fee B's Makeup Bag: The Brangelina Epidemic

Posted by Posted by Fee B. On 3:24 PM

                                              Fee B's Makeup Bag: The Brangelina Epidemic
Now before I get started let me say I’m not a racist in any way. I love all people for who they are and not the color of there skin. I try not to feed into the stereotypes even though some are hard to ignore because they seem to be true. For example a lot of the time Mexicans do seem to roll deep when they drive or that Asians drive a tad crazy. So with that said...The item I’m pulling out of my makeup bag today: Interracial Adoption. I work in the suburbs where you run into every kind of race and frequently I see mixed families. No I’m not talking about one White one Black and mixed kids. I’m talking White couple Black kids… Asian couple Mexican kids. Clearly not biologically related. Now I’m all for getting kids who need homes into them, but I have to wonder are they adopting them because they really wanted to save & adopt a child of a different race or are they doing it because Madonna or Brad and Angelina and Sandra Bullock made it in style. Even with the celebrities doing it I have major doubts because I just don’t see how a white family can really raise a black child to appreciate their heritage and that goes for any race who adopts a child of a different race. I saw this white couple with their 3 black kids struggling to get them to behave and these children were acting a damn fool, which I’ve noticed whites tend to let their kids do in addition to throwing things at them and screaming at them, as the apparent oldest child, a boy was doing to this couple I watched. Nothing worked with these kids until they got the ice cream that they were acting an ass out in public for. Then as I watched them all leave I notice the way they were dressed, and it was how I assume they would probably dress their biological kids from the baggy sun dresses and UGG boots to the polo shirt, cargo shorts and sandals. Which there is nothing wrong with dressing your children a certain way, BUT the little girls are what struck me the most. I couldn’t help but wonder if they knew how to maintain black hair or at least pay someone else to? There a major differences in hair care race to race and from the mop tops I was looking at these folks didn’t have a clue how to care for these girls hair or a black friend to help them out! I think the situation may be a little bit different if you’re raising them from 12months and younger but when you get a child older than that its really a battle to gain that parental control that these two didn't seem to have. But hey who am I to judge I may be totally off with my observation about raising a child that’s of a different race, or then again maybe I’m the only willing to admit that just like the debate in Losing Isaiah sometimes children belong with their race. Now maybe its just that not too many blacks are headed down to the adoption agency and if that’s the case I really do appreciate those who choose to go through with that commitment but being able to provide a stable life doesn’t mean being able to provide the best life for a child…am I wrong for thinking this? How can you teach a child about the sacrifices and struggles of their ancestors when you only know what was taught to you in school? What ways will you comfort your child when they get made fun of for not being black enough to be with the black kids and not white enough for the white kids? As I stated before its not just Black and White. For example I could never adopt a Hispanic child. I’m not fluent in the language to teach them that important part of their culture and honestly I can't tell the difference between Latinos/Hispanics. So I wouldn’t even consider it, that’s not the best life for that child and even though Madonna, Charlize, Sandra, Brad and Angelina have a rainbow coalition of kids they have the money to hire someone to teach their kids or even themselves about their culture. Money for stylists…though clearly these kids dress themselves. The resources to hire Super Nanny or whatever to help them not really discipline their kids. I really do hope these everyday people that adopt children outside of their race do it for the sake of wanting to change a kids life and not for the sake of doing something that was made popular by celebrities, or taking whatever kid was there so they wouldn’t be the last one at the resort with kids to bitch about. I want to give the benefit of the doubt but in this case the jury is still out on that one…until the next time I reach into my makeup bag…Live, Laugh, Love

1 Comment

  1. Anonymous Said,

    "Mexans roll deep when they drive"........LMAO. Sounds like my mom who says they get their license from Aldi.*kanye shrug"* But I can agree with your point. One of my half sisters was adopted by a white couple and she is in no way in touch with her black culture and we had a hard time bonding when I finally located her.Then again none of my black family members jumped at the chance to take her in when her crack addicted mother abandoned her. I appreciate you shedding light on this topic.

    Posted on July 18, 2012 at 4:47 PM

     

Post a Comment